Wednesday, June 9, 2010

In the Beginning...

Monsoon season has officially begun! This I am finding, is great cause for excitement. It is usually the first sign of the break from the summer heat.



In the first photograph, the children are anxiously awaiting the first drops of the season. Soon after, in the second photograph, it is clear that the monsoons are here! Everyone was running around as if we were just happening upon the best surprise party. And within 20 minutes, streets were already flooded. Our car we had arrived in for the day was stuck in the mud as well. All of the children, myself, and the rest of the SANGRAM employees were out there pushing away.

It has already been one week in Sangli and it feels like a month has passed. My internal roller coaster alone felt like a journey in and of itself.

As for the school, the students, and my initial encounters in Sangli -- I am blown away to say the least. The beginning transition really swept me off my feet, as I somehow conveniently forgot how all encompassing culture shock can be. Being immersed in a whole new colorful set of traditions, cultural norms, and even varied head-bobs (a primary source of Indian communication) can take a lot of concentration and ironically, a lot of letting go. When I am caught up in the latter, I have been taken aback wholly by all that is India.

Already, some of what I was expecting is turning out to be different -- especially the direction of the school. I am seeing that being flexible will be key, especially in the beginning.

School began this last Monday. The math, science and English language curriculum that I will teach is going to develop as we go. This amount of responsibility is different than was originally anticipated, and I am navigating the details as we speak. There are texts for each subject to use as guides, but primarily my classes are supposed to be developed from scratch. An adventure to say the least.

I see that my being brought here is going to be service in and of itself, in just surrounding the children in a whole new culture and kind of energy. Creativity is sure to be my best companion throughout this process.

The students are amazing beings with these really hearty and joyful spirits! Already it is so clear that they are eager to be stimulated in new ways. I will be needing to be on my toes to keep their curiosity engaged, and it seems really worth the challenge. As well, they are also my teachers. I have already received lessons on proper meal etiquette, Indian Festivals of the year, and am learning some Marathi (the native laguage spoken in this region).

There are 6 students in total. I teach classes in small groups of either 2 students or 4. One group is the 8th grade. And the other group is of the 4th & 5th grade.

I would say that my adjusting to India is credit in part to amazing encouragement from home, and also to my great neighbors that have been so warm and are showing me some of the ropes. Through this new network I have made two new early morning walking buddies, had my first rooftop ice cream/card playing party, and even received a lesson in Bollywood!

Below are some photos from my first week to get an idea of Sangi. It is taking some time to upload photos and once I figure out the glitch I will create an album to show the variety here.

Thank you to All of You for your encouragement during this first period, it has meant more than you could ever know. With So Much Love! E



My first of what I am told are weekly ice cream and card playing parties at my building.

Some views of Sangli during my walks.

2 comments:

Mark H said...

What beautiful pictures! It looks like you and the students are having a blast!

Unknown said...

Wow. I would be struggling if the arrangement was drastically different. I would also want the adventure. Who you are will shine through no matter what curriculum you are teaching.

Post a Comment