Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Land of Chai and Life Lessons.

I have been learning so much from experiencing this part of India through the eyes of the youth that live here. Recently my younger neighbors have been showing me some of what Sangli has to offer (including the great street food options). Also, in getting to know my students better -- I find I am being stretched in ways of seeing I did not expect.

India, or at least what I have been finding, is the land of hospitality. You are invited with chai in every household upon entering. Also, at work, we have fresh chai two times daily (during class no less). Also, it is pretty normal for me to meet whole families in one visit. And I still haven't figured out yet if everyone is good for their offer of returning for some homemade Indian dish.

Here are the highlights so far. But these have been so delicately balanced with plenty of bloopers and already some life lessons.

As for school, I have received my newest schedule that is more manageable than the first. It will allow flexibility to take in my surroundings, and time to prepare new lesson plans.

When lesson planning, I feel like I am in middle school again. Looking furiously online for a resource that tells me exactly what I need to write my first research paper, the night before its due. And just like back then, there is no such miracle page that tells me explicitly everything I need to know to create a seamless lesson plan. Lots and lots of great tips and resources, but no magic solution. Actually learning how to do it as I go - lesson number one.

Lesson number two, is to know my audience. I had this dreamy eyed vision for a phonetics class with all 6 students in my home this last Monday. I got my apartment all ready for class, gave them a tour of my building, and began with a slide show of family photos to describe in English. Soon after the slide show was done, the children were all over the place. One big ball of curiosity -- wanting to get the attention of my neighbors, play tag with each other, and make a lot of noise. It was a little like the mob effect.

Afterward, I found myself pouring over parenting tips for active children online.

The tiny miracle is that I got to commend them on their apologies the following day. And also realized we'll wait to introduce classes outside of school...

Below are some more pictures. I am finding that Sangli is pretty eclectic. There are all kinds of neighborhoods, schools, agricultural areas -- all melded together seamlessly amidst their great differences.


Here the "smaller kids" (of my building) are having a party in honor of the new school year starting the following day. Because I am still the curious foreign person in the area, I was extended an invitation to such a rare occasion. They really know how to throw an affair. Clearly 5 variety of chips and street food snacks is the way to entertain.


** Click on any of the photographs to see its larger image. **



Picture 1: The library at school.
Picture 2: Our main classroom.
Picture 3: Neeta, my co-teacher and new friend, with Amuda, one of our 5th standard students.


Picture 1: Sangli street view near my home.
Picture 2: Cows, ox, and goats all share the same road as the autos.
Picture 3: My first auto-rickshaw ride on the way to school. It's the equivalent of a three-wheeled clown car.
Picture 4: Bicycles are a main mode of transportation here.


Picture 1: My first lesson in Bollywood.
Picture 2: My building.
Picture 3: Sumpada, my neighbor, new friend, and co-worker.


This time, I'm not the one operating the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment