Thursday, June 17, 2010

Trial, Error & Love.

I am coming to find why it is not in my best interest to create a seamless lesson plan from which to teach from.

So many unexpected events arise during our lessons. I am seeing it would be like preparing for weather that is bound to change mid-course. Today I had to totally scrap a science experiment just after we got underway. I am learning the limits of my students. And really, also myself.

I have met my match in many ways. I used to be the disruptive student. Off course when I was confused or not fully engaged. The universe is allowing me to heal this memory.

I find I am stepping into really old shoes. Remembering the times I did not want to participate. All I wanted to do was color and sing. It was like the teacher was speaking a different language.

And here I am. The teacher speaking a different language.

Love, intuition, patience, and understanding when to change course. These are today's actual lessons.

3 comments:

Mark H said...

Yes but with your insight into their mindset hopefully you can be creative and keep them engaged!

Elizabeth and India said...

Isn't this the truth. I have already begun to see it in action. Allowing them to guide which direction we go for the day has been a great tool even!

Kathleen said...

Isn't it interesting that you can now see the meaning of being a disruptive student through new eyes? I'm sure you're a better teacher because of your experience.

Post a Comment